1991 - The Essential Leo Kottke Collection @320
The Essential Leo Kottke is the double album from 1991, which may surprise some listeners with the familiarity of its tunes. What I discovered was the supreme delight of seeing Kottke’s guitar wrapped around such familiar songs as Bob Nolan’s Tumbling Tumbleweeds, the Everly Brothers All I Have to Do is Dream, and most surprisingly Kris Kristofferson’s Here Comes That Rainbow Again, written from a scene in The Grapes of Wrath, which I had only heard live by Kristofferson and recorded by Johnny Cash. You suddenly realize that Kottke is unafraid of great melodies, and goes constantly in search of them. It isn’t just countermelodies that captivate his guitarist’s fancy, but the innate power of a melody as well. You can’t have one, he makes me realize, without the other. In the end, that’s why I love his playing, and have stayed true to his muse all these years. Leo Kottke is a guitarist’s guitarist, one who opens up the fret board to all manner of virtuoso invention, without losing sight of his original purpose in creating a world of beautiful sound.(FolkWorks)
When this is posted I will be on holiday so there won't be any quick responses to comments.


Thanks so much!
ReplyDelete