25 October 2024

John Peel

 

Today marks 20 years since we lost the late great John Peel, 25th October is my birthday and has never felt the same, since we lost this great man. I will raise a glass of red to Peelie later today.

Because of this man that I discovered much of the music that has been part of my life for well over 40 years. Always promoting new music, and styles of music, I learned to listen first and make my own choice. I didn't like everything he played on his radio shows, but I still miss his shows to this day.

Because of him, reggae, blues and early rock-'n'-roll, and once punk landed, he was the first and only to play punk on national radio. All those wonderful Peel sessions, often with the classic version of song included on them, better than the original studio recordings. And still miss his festive 50 shows every Xmas. Do have these in a folder on a hard drive.

One of the things Peelie taught me was your never too old to be into new music. 

John Peel 

30 August 1939 – 25 October 2004




2 comments:

  1. “Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, *life* has surface noise."

    ReplyDelete